Kayaking
I went kayaking on Town Lake this morning. I tried out a new rental place, and it's head and shoulders above the crappy little outfit in southwest Zilker.
For one thing, they don't require you to leave your driver's license or car keys as collateral.
Most importantly, though, they actually rent out canoes with back support! An aching back was always the limiting factor when I went out before- In order to row, you have to sit on an essentially flat surface with your back straight the whole time. You can rotate through straight-leg, indian style, and seiza, but it was far from comfortable.
Oh, and, side benefits, they're REALLY lax about payment. It's $10/hr, but when I got back almost two hours later, they only asked me to pay for one hour. I reminded them I'd been gone much longer than that, so he said "Well, you were just under 2 hours. Let's call it an hour and a half."
So next time you go kayaking (or rowing, they have rowboats too) on Town Lake, check out this place.
On another note, I paddled, give or take, 4 miles! I went north-west on Town Lake all the way to the dam, where there's a sign painted in letter 15 feet high, "Warning, this facility periodically discharges large volumes of water with no warning. Do not approach." How cool is that?
I also got to check out some of the mansions on the southwest side of the lake- they're really impressive! And they're on top of some really scenic cliffs. I can only imagine what kind of view they have.
For one thing, they don't require you to leave your driver's license or car keys as collateral.
Most importantly, though, they actually rent out canoes with back support! An aching back was always the limiting factor when I went out before- In order to row, you have to sit on an essentially flat surface with your back straight the whole time. You can rotate through straight-leg, indian style, and seiza, but it was far from comfortable.
Oh, and, side benefits, they're REALLY lax about payment. It's $10/hr, but when I got back almost two hours later, they only asked me to pay for one hour. I reminded them I'd been gone much longer than that, so he said "Well, you were just under 2 hours. Let's call it an hour and a half."
So next time you go kayaking (or rowing, they have rowboats too) on Town Lake, check out this place.
On another note, I paddled, give or take, 4 miles! I went north-west on Town Lake all the way to the dam, where there's a sign painted in letter 15 feet high, "Warning, this facility periodically discharges large volumes of water with no warning. Do not approach." How cool is that?
I also got to check out some of the mansions on the southwest side of the lake- they're really impressive! And they're on top of some really scenic cliffs. I can only imagine what kind of view they have.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home