Colin's Journal

2006-06-27

Half Price Books

I went to HPB yesterday after work... When I filled up my bookshelf last week, there wasn't room for everything. Then I realized, somehow, I'd gotten a bunch of crap books mixed in with minpe, the kind of stuff mom likes to read. I think dad was playing a trick on my last time he gave me a "big bag of books". So, okay, I fill a couple of grocery bags up with the crap books. I know what to do with those.

What does HPB offer me? $3.50! For about 20 books. Either their profit margins are obscene, or they only sell a fraction of the books they buy. I'm sure it's a little of each, but what on earth do they do with the leftover junk? Is there some third-world country out there reading this crap because they've never known better? Depressing thought!

(Know what cracked me up? At the purchase counter, there were piles and piles of stuff they had to go through and categorize. And there was one push-cart that had a stack of 35 year old Playboys next to a stack of Veggie-tales VHS tapes. Doesn't that just describe HPB in a nutshell?)

1 Comments:

  • I had the same experience a few weeks back. I tried to sell 25 books and 4 movies. They offered me $5. So I have listed them on Half.com and sold two of the movies for $7 already. I also have them posted on Craigslist. Of course, I'll probably end up selling the books for $.25 each in a garage sale to get rid of them, but that's still $6.25....

    By Blogger Joshua Tallent, at 11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home