Ranting about user interfaces
Man, what's the deal with DVD menus? I swear, somebody should make it a legal requirement to put a warning label on a disc, stating clearly how long it's going to make you wait before you can watch the movie on it. I think it's safe to say that NOBODY (at least, nobody I respect) has ever bought a DVD because of it's fantastic menus.
Suppose you want to watch your movie;
I'm not saying this is a big problem in my life. I'm just suggesting that if two movies were beside each other on a shelf, and one was labelled "Movie can be viewed after only 15 minutes of crap!", and the other says "Playable within 5 seconds!", well, it might create the kind of market pressure that fixes these sorts of problems. As it is, it's a crapshoot every time. Sure, you had to rewind VHS tapes, but to compensate, you were also allowed to fast forward.
Suppose you want to watch your movie;
- First, pop it in and watch your mandatory unskippable FCC warning
- and then one from Interpol (unless you're a pirate- only paying customers have to put up with them).
- If it's a Disney disc, you watch some advertisements. Maybe three or four trailers for other Disney discs.
- The main menu begins displaying. 15 seconds of crazy animation and gratuitous excerpts later, you can pick "play"
- Once you click play, there will be some more animations as the menu decides to leave.
- Finally! Now I can watch a tree get struck by lightning, and then the statue of liberty winks, a lion roars at me from the middle of a gold seal, some helicopters fly around a giant "20th century fox" statue, somebody says "Sit, ubu! Sit!", and you're actually watching a movie.
I'm not saying this is a big problem in my life. I'm just suggesting that if two movies were beside each other on a shelf, and one was labelled "Movie can be viewed after only 15 minutes of crap!", and the other says "Playable within 5 seconds!", well, it might create the kind of market pressure that fixes these sorts of problems. As it is, it's a crapshoot every time. Sure, you had to rewind VHS tapes, but to compensate, you were also allowed to fast forward.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home