Jerry Maguire
You know, I always thought the name of the show "Show Me the Money" was dumb, but I attributed it to dumb-schtick, since they hired William Shatner to host. But now that I've heard of this new show, "Help Me Help You", I see what's really going on- everybody's creating shows named after quotes from Jerry Maguire!
Who wants to lay a bet on the next one? I have 3:1 odds that a romance called "You Complete Me" or "You Had Me @ Hello" will go into production before a quiz show called "The Human Head Weighs 8 Pounds" or a talk show called "I am Mister Black People"
Who wants to lay a bet on the next one? I have 3:1 odds that a romance called "You Complete Me" or "You Had Me @ Hello" will go into production before a quiz show called "The Human Head Weighs 8 Pounds" or a talk show called "I am Mister Black People"

25 Comments:
"The Human Head Weighs 8 Pounds" is too long a title for American TV. Maybe in England?
Oh, but then it would have to be called "The Human Head Weighs 3.63 Kilograms." Which sort of ruins the quote.
Anyway, good observation!
By
Derek, at 8:27 AM
Ya know, I think you're on to something! Maybe there will be a show about offices (since "The Office" is a hit)and it has people who are unhappy with their jobs. I predict that it will be called, "Who's Going With Me?"
By
Anonymous, at 8:33 AM
I'll only watch the show "You Had Me at Hello" if Kenny Chesney can sing the theme song.
Why stop at Jerry Maguire? How about lines from other Tom Cruise movies, such as "You're Dangerous" or "You Can't Handle the Truth!"
By
Anonymous, at 8:39 AM
I am thinking perhaps "It's not 'show friends.' It's show *business*. This will be something like the Apprentice. Or, the ever popular... "you said f*@#", which would be a show about taking sailors and the first one to curse is out. Hmm, that is lame. It might just work!
By
Anonymous, at 8:42 AM
No, Derek, they're on the metric system, dummy, it would be called "The Human Head Weighs 5 Euros" - I think.
I'd like to see a game show where they show you a bucnh of products, and then you have to guess how much each one costs and try to get the closest without going over. Also, they would figure out some way to incorporate a really big wheel with flashing lights.
By
Anonymous, at 8:54 AM
Jerry Maguire was an amazing film with an unfortunate name. If it had had a more profound title like "Gaining the World" it would not be the butt of so many jokes now. It's really unfortunate that these TV execs have chosen to further denigrate one of the true masterpieces of American cinema by associating some of its most powerful lines with "dumb-schtick" game shows.
By
Curt, at 8:56 AM
Tom Cruise movies are not the only ones with potential titles. Why not go with another classic actor, Mel Gibson. I think you might be able to market a show called "FREEEEEEEDOOOOOMMMM!!!!!!!!" or even one called "AARRRGGGHHHHHHH!!!!". Either would sell to the male 18-24 crowd as long as it has lots of blood-and-guts war scenes. Of course, you might run into some problems with a TV show all in Aramaic.
By
Anonymous, at 9:01 AM
What about a dating game-show where the contestants are single moms and struggling professionals. The show could be called, "Secret Garden", an oblique reference to the song from the Jerry McGuire soundtrack.
By
Barry Bishop, at 9:18 AM
I'm thinking some type of dating show "Everybody Loves You. Pisses me off!"
Yes? No?
Maybe the same title would better for 10 year olds to vent at their new baby siblings. hmmm...
By
Anonymous, at 9:32 AM
My co-worker said that he met his wife on the "You had me at hello" game-show!! Well, it was kinda a mix since the guest show host Joe Rogan from Fear Factor.
So, instead of wedding cake they had to eat pig testicles while sitting in a bucket of snakes. They said they wouldn’t change anything!
By
Anonymous, at 9:45 AM
Here is the part where I admit I have never seen it all the way through at least that I can remember. :)
;) Got it?
By
Anonymous, at 10:05 AM
I was hoping for "D'you know that bees and dogs can smell fear?" I think this one has some potential as a Fear Factor knock off!
I had initially thought "I shoplifted the pootie," but that would never make primetime. But then again, neither is "I am Mr. Black People."
By
Anonymous, at 10:34 AM
Less of a game show, more of a news outlet... there could be a show dedicated to politicians called "My word is stronger than oak".
Or a re-name for the Dave Chappelle show, "I am Mister black people!" (dang it, Landon beat me too it)
I should probably stop...
By
Anonymous, at 10:36 AM
I'm not sure a game show about the weight of human heads would be terribly popular. I mean, I suppose you could ask about the weight of the heads of various celebrities or parts of the head like brains and eyes and stuff, but really, aside from ENT docs, whose gonna watch that? Hmmm....on second thought I think I would watch that.
By
Anonymous, at 10:38 AM
I don't feel that I can properly comment on this because I've never actually even seen that movie.
And I don't have a TV.
But I DO think there should be a gameshow about squid. *MAYBE* then I'd think about getting a TV. If only such Quality Programing were available.
By
Anonymous, at 12:31 PM
"I am Mister Black People" reminds me of a spoof game show on the Chappelle Show entitled, "I Know Black People."
By
Anonymous, at 12:47 PM
What are you talking about, I think "Show Me the Money" is a brilliant title for a game shoe. Pure marketing genius. Oh, game SHOW? I thought we were talking about shoes. 'Cause I would buy a pair of "You Had Me at Hello" shoes. Maybe an 8 pound hat to go with them.
By
Karianne, at 1:01 PM
How about a game show called "You can't handle the truth!" Oh wait.. wrong movie.. I have always been horrible at movie quotes, just ask Michelle. ;-)
By
slefanizer, at 9:23 PM
grrr... and I was never any good at remembering the movies I saw. I only wish I could quote movies as well as everyone else. :) Oh well!
By
Anonymous, at 11:19 AM
I can't believe everyone has forgotten my favorite quote-to-be-made-gameshow: That's my Mofo! I don't even know what its about but I hear its gonna put the WB back on top. Or is it UPN? CNN? I can't remember.
By
Sir Cody, at 12:40 PM
How about a game show called "For Love or Money" where under-weight, self-absorbed young women saunter around in bikinis and claw their way into the affections of a handsome beaux, only to snub him in the end for a big hunk of cash? And regardless of how much they humiliate themselves along the way, they must still proclaim "I have no regrets." Oh wait, that's been done already. Well how about a sequel then, where the men, often shirtless and sweaty, must endure macho tests and mind-games in pursuit of the all-elusive beauty. Oh fooey, that's been done, too.
By
Karen, at 9:46 PM
I actually think they mistitled the show. It should be named after one of his other lines: I'm not trying to make history here.
By
Mrs. Harmon, at 2:26 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
By
Mrs. Harmon, at 2:26 PM
As I know you all know, this is the information age, we no longer need better memory, we just need better MEMORY. I have 512MB of PC3300.
You can jog your memory of Jerry McGuire quotes here: (as I did)
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Jerry_Maguire
Having a hightened awarness of the philosphy of the Far East, I appreciate Rod Tidwells concept of "Kwan" in the movie. I think of it as an interpretation of the iconic contemporary hyper-athletically-oriented-under-educated-black-urban-male of eastern religion's/philosphy's state of nirvana on earth: Respect, Peace, Money, and Fame.
I can't say much about game shows, but I think the word could be dropped into some titles and still retain its essence and adding meaning and/or flavor to the title.
Examples:
"Kwan't we all just get along" as substitue for "Survivor" or "Judge Judy"
"The Last Kwan" for "The Last Samurai"
"Kwan Scene Investigation"
N.Y.K.D. Blues (K for Kwan)
Kwantum Leap
Three is Kwampany
The Kwan, The Unkwan, and the Kwugly
By
Anonymous, at 3:25 PM
Friend or acquaintance - I'll let you decide. After all these years, I still have no idea whether you roomed with me because you actually enjoyed my company or because you needed someone to split the rent. Either way, our trip back to A&M, listening to a guy explore his journey into homosexuality, is still one of my better memories of Aggieland. (Please don't read too much into that.) And let's face it: I knew nothing about computers before you came along. (Believe it or not, you actually taught me a few things.) So now that Derek's plot has been discovered, and no one really cares what I say now, I would like to make one comment... If human heads weigh eight pounds, why aren't they marketed as barbells for forensic scientists?
By
Jason Moreno, at 8:28 AM
Post a Comment
<< Home