Colin's Journal

2006-10-22

The Rolling Stones



So, guess who I saw tonight? Okay, I guess the title gave it away, so I'll stop being coy. I actually didn't see them, as much as see at them, but I could sure hear loud 'n clear. The show went on for hours. I took my bike in a lap around the park to try and get a clear look, but this shot was from the best vantage point I could find; for some reason, the cops were a LOT more vigilant about keeping fence-post peekers away than they were during Austin City Limits.

But, oh well, I didn't even know they were coming until the lady at Supercuts brought it up on Thursday. And I'm not really that much of a fan anyway. But I could see better with my eyes than the camera could, and now I can say I've seen Mick Jagger live. And that's somewhat cool.

I came back home after I figured out I wouldn't see much. I called mom to brag; I really could hear everything crystal clear just by opening my kitchen window. But I had no idea they'd wrap the concert with a fireworks show! I heard the first few bangs from my living room, they sounded like grenades in the parking lot. I ran outside, and all of a sudden it was the 4th of July!

It was just the finaly, not a full length show. But there was at least 45 seconds of rapid fire industrial-grade shells. And they were close! After the last one went off, the horizon was white with smoke being lit by floodlights. And about a minute after that, it started raining!

But not really- it sounded EXACTLY like a light rain, but it was ash and paper! Seriously- it rained burned paper for a few minutes. I was cracking up, mom was on the phone laughing with me. Apparently the fireworks show was loud enough that Ginger (mom's dog) could hear it coming out of the phone, and looked up in alarm. Everytime a larger shell went off, it felt like somebody blew on my face; the shockwaves were that strong.

I do love this neighborhood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home