Goals
Life's a race, although we're not all running towards the same goal. But if you don't know where you want to wind up, I suppose you could do worse than follow the crowd. Sure, technically I'm aimless, but I know the numbers. Statistically, a stable job and steady savings are important for a lot of different ends. That's why the herd does this, after all.But following behind a herd, you track through an awful lot of mud, and you're not going to discover anything new or special.
On the flipside, a lot of people say that life's the opposite of a race; you should focus entirely on the scenery. The important part's not the end but the middle.
If that's true, and I think it is, then listlessly wandering behind a muddy herd is the LAST thing I should do. This trail I'm on wanders through the center, and if I play the odds, this is a great jump-off point once I see my goal. If I take a road less travelled, I'll have more to see, but what if! What if I explore far to the left, and decide I should have steered right? What if I float down a river, when I should have climbed a mountain?
Thus conscience does make cowards of us all, or at least me.
Oh well, it's 11 o'clock, and you know what they say- to sleep, perchance to dream. And who knows what dreams may come, when I have shuffled off these moistened contacts?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home