Colin's Journal

2005-06-01

How I Do It

The last thing I wanted to do with this blog is turn it into an advice column, but it looks like rules are just made to be broken. (I have a rule against doing the last thing that I want to do.)

But a lot of people have been asking me lately, how I do it, and I thought I would share some thoughts with you all.

First of all, although I make it look easy, it's really not. I have learned some tricks that help, though-

1.) Always believe in yourself. If you don't believe in you, then, not to get erudite, but, as Descartes said, you think, therefore you are, and if you aren't, then I think it's your fault.

2.) Never use both hands. It makes you look too eager, and then the other isn't free for defense.

3.) Project, from the back of the throat. Think of hocking a loogie, but instead of phlegm, it's raw charisma, and instead of on the floor, it's into the hearts and minds of your team.

4.) Remember: in life, like in chess, once your turn is over, there are no take-backs, except in certain variations, or when playing against many popular computer programs, whose goal is really to teach and entertain more than to challenge. But of course, that's only in chess, which was a poor analogy in the first place. Also, sometimes, there may be takebacks.

If you keep this in mind, and wear the proper protective gear (safety never seems important until it's too late, by which time you already... that is, it's too late- trust me on this one, too many people wait until it's too late to be safety conscious).

And course it's never a bad idea to just follow the example of people shorter or more experienced than yourself.

Thank you.

1 Comments:

  • lol, I'll definitely have to keep these in mind! :)

    By Blogger Laura, at 11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home