Memorial Day Memories
What an awesome weekend!
Saturday morning I got up early and drove to Beaumont for a 2 o'clock wedding. Stayed until the cutting of the cake, then I hit the road so I could make it back to Austin before falling asleep.
On the way, my half-sister called me out of the blue, to tell me she was in Austin with her boyfriend Steve. Understand, NOBODY from Dad's side of the family has ever visited me, except Dad himself for college graduation. I spent Sunday doing fun things with Steve and Jenny, we had a large lunch at Pei Wei and then saw "The Longest Yard" at the Alamo Drafthouse. Good times!
Got back home in time for a TERRIFIC thunderstorm. A real window-rattler. As a matter of fact, the weather dude advised me to get my car under cover to avoid golf-ball sized hail. I took a glass of juice and a novel out to the external stairwell and read through the whole storm.
The incredible amount of rain we got made my monday trip to Zilker Park very enjoyable. People were diving off of the "no diving" bridge (30' high, easy), swimming in the "no swimming" creek (about 50 people and 5 large dogs), and generally having a good time. Then I went on what added up to a 3.5 hr walking/jogging exploration hike.
The point of all this is, now I definitely have some fun things to suggest when people ask me what there is to do in Austin.
Saturday morning I got up early and drove to Beaumont for a 2 o'clock wedding. Stayed until the cutting of the cake, then I hit the road so I could make it back to Austin before falling asleep.
On the way, my half-sister called me out of the blue, to tell me she was in Austin with her boyfriend Steve. Understand, NOBODY from Dad's side of the family has ever visited me, except Dad himself for college graduation. I spent Sunday doing fun things with Steve and Jenny, we had a large lunch at Pei Wei and then saw "The Longest Yard" at the Alamo Drafthouse. Good times!
Got back home in time for a TERRIFIC thunderstorm. A real window-rattler. As a matter of fact, the weather dude advised me to get my car under cover to avoid golf-ball sized hail. I took a glass of juice and a novel out to the external stairwell and read through the whole storm.
The incredible amount of rain we got made my monday trip to Zilker Park very enjoyable. People were diving off of the "no diving" bridge (30' high, easy), swimming in the "no swimming" creek (about 50 people and 5 large dogs), and generally having a good time. Then I went on what added up to a 3.5 hr walking/jogging exploration hike.
The point of all this is, now I definitely have some fun things to suggest when people ask me what there is to do in Austin.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home