Colin's Journal

2005-05-22

Star Wars

So I saw "Revenge of the Sith" this weekend. Man, what a stinker!

I was prompted to write this while watching "Attack of the Clones" on TV during dinner. I saw the scene where R2D2 was dragging C3PO's head through a battlefield (trying to reassemble him). C3PO's head said "What a drag!". Then when his head got near his body, he said "I'm quite beside myself." Ugh! I understand a lot of guys of my generation view the original trilogy through rose colored glasses, but I don't think there was anything THAT childishly corny in them. And what's with those silly skinny droids? "Roger-roger"? And during Episode 1, one of them got SUCKED INTO A JET ENGINE and came out the other end going "wowowow" and shaking his head, as if to say "Well, I don't want to do THAT again". That kind of childish comic relief is just insulting!

And what's up with the languages in this trilogy? Sometimes bad guy aliens will speak alien, with subtitles; so I know George isn't afraid to make his audience read. But then we have jar-jar's bizarrely annoying dialect. Lots of the other aliens will speak english even just among themselves... It seems like the decision of what language an alien would speak was made randomly for each scene. And in the end, Padme's gyno-droid was speaking the most ridiculous fake languagewhile surrounded by humans; it was just confusing.

And as long as most of the jedi speak english, why in the world would they call children "younglings"?!?!?

Far be it from me to say I know better than a billionaire writer/director; but it's not just my opinion. I had a horrible theater experience because the whole audience burst out in laughter at ALL of this stuff. On the lava planet, when Obi Wan stepped out of spaceship for the first time, he struck a Peter Pan pose for cryingout loud!

Okay, I could sit here and criticize the illogic of it all for another hour, easy. But the fact is, it seems like a first draft. Or, as seems far more likely, the much publicized over-zealous "hand
off my movie" attitude of Georgie Lucas was finally given free reign, and this was the result.

(P.S. - did you know that Empire Strikes Back, usually called the best of the series, was directed by someone else? Just something to thinkabout.)

1 Comments:

  • Oooh, I didn't know that... Very interesting. Though Return of the Jedi was my personal favorite, just for those cute little ewoks.

    By Blogger Laura, at 10:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home