Colin's Journal

2008-07-26

Anime is weird



Man, anime is weird. I was watching a perfectly normal, popular, pg-rated series called Outlaw Star, and the plot revolved around a psychic cactus who was tricking people into buying ice cream. A little weird, but trust me, it made sense in the context of the plot.

But the scene takes place on an english-speaking space station, so of course they had to use english for all the background scenery. What I imagine happened was this- a lead animator went to one of the junior guys and said "We need a long strip of background for the characters to walk past. Make it a series of shops, like in a mall." And he pulled out his trusty english dictionary, flipped open to "S", and started picking words at random for the signage in the background.

It's either that, or there's a hidden meaning to the shop's name- I wouldn't put that past the Japanese either.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home