What does "Disagreeable" mean?
As a society, we think it a good thing to have strong opinions. But the word "opinionated" has a negative connotation. I think that's because "opinionated" implies that you share all of your opinions, while having them merely means you are decisive.
I caught myself spewing out hundreds of opinions this morning, and felt afterwards that I might have come across as off-putting. We tend to make friends with people we have much in common with. I think that's (in part, of course) because people like to share and listen to opinions that they know will be agreeable. If you were friends with someone who disagreed with most everything you said, then of course your conversations would be mostly debates. That can be fun, but it's not what most people are looking for when they want to "hang out with a friend."
Which sorta brings me to my point. When talking with friends, the more opinons you express aloud, the more likely you are to start saying things they disagree with. And the more likely you are to seem "disagreeable".
I don't mean that I should change my opinions to be conformist, or that I should fear to speak my mind. However, if I immediately share every opinion that comes to mind, I might find myself alienating (or at least debating) anyone who doesn't already see everything from my point of view. Which can be fun, and can be productive... But then people might start avoiding me if they aren't in the mood for a good argument.
I caught myself spewing out hundreds of opinions this morning, and felt afterwards that I might have come across as off-putting. We tend to make friends with people we have much in common with. I think that's (in part, of course) because people like to share and listen to opinions that they know will be agreeable. If you were friends with someone who disagreed with most everything you said, then of course your conversations would be mostly debates. That can be fun, but it's not what most people are looking for when they want to "hang out with a friend."
Which sorta brings me to my point. When talking with friends, the more opinons you express aloud, the more likely you are to start saying things they disagree with. And the more likely you are to seem "disagreeable".
I don't mean that I should change my opinions to be conformist, or that I should fear to speak my mind. However, if I immediately share every opinion that comes to mind, I might find myself alienating (or at least debating) anyone who doesn't already see everything from my point of view. Which can be fun, and can be productive... But then people might start avoiding me if they aren't in the mood for a good argument.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home