Colin's Journal

2006-02-13

A Heated Debate


Derek and I were discussing my new cube decoration earlier. Neither of us really understand how the mechanism works, but we both had a theory, and I think were both a little off. He was arguing that the mist had to be warmer than the water it came from, else it wouldn't have had the energy to break free of the surface tension. I was arguing that the mist's temperature must always be somewhere between the air temperature and the water temperature, even if the air was much cooler than the water. Regardless of the facts of the matter, our conversation became quite heated. Then I had to deal w/ a work issue, and Derek had to go off and do something else. Later, he apologized to me (and vice versa) for becoming so agitated by the argument. Okay, fine.

I was telling him later, wouldn't it have been hilarious if instead of getting distracted, we'd argued harder and harder, and then eventually come to blows? And we never forgave each other, and many years went by, and he was at the mall with one of his kids or something, and we saw each other, and there was this angry vibe, and we stalked away from each other, and his kid was like "Dad, why are you so angry at that guy? Who is he?", and he said "I'll tell you later.", and then, later, his kid demanded an explanation, and Derek said "Well, many years ago, we got into a violent argument about the underlying physics involved in making steam."?

I thought that would have been funny. But alas, we've already put it behind us, so I'll never get a chance to find out. *Sigh*

1 Comments:

  • I want one of those! Er, the misty gadget that is, not the argument (though amusing that certainly would be....)

    By Blogger Laura, at 6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home